Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Seattle's Georgetown Castle

Here are a few stories about this castle in the Georgetown area of Seattle.

1. Peter Gessner who ran the Central Tavern in Pioneer Square committed suicide here in 1903 by drinking a caustic acid. He had lived here for about 1 year.

2. The house became a brothel between 1903 - 1912. Georgetown was the red light district area during this time.

3. Dr. Willis Corson was the next owner of this house after 1912. He has just retired from being the Superintendent of King County Almshouse and Hospital. Many of the deaths at this hospital were caused by cases of tuberculosis. The hospital was demolished in the 1950's.

4. A crazy old lady has been seen choking herself with one hand and hitting witnesses with the other. Her eyes have been said to 'burn like coal'. The lady is believed to be a Spanish woman who killed her illegitimate babies and buried them under the porch .

5. This castle has quiet a few ghost stories.

6. This house was renovated in the 1980’s.



Mid Beacon Hill's Blog Post About Georgetown's Castle

5 comments:

Megan said...

That's interesting. Where did you come up with the idea for this post?

Isabel said...

I just found this post via a google search. See the little blue house next to the haunted house? Yeah, my husband and I built it a few years ago and lived next to the haunted house for a few years. It was fun...but we never saw any ghosts. Darn it.

Thanks for the info!

BabyAlana said...

Wow, this is neat. I found you via google :o)

My grandpa lived in Georgetown for most of his 98 years and my brother lives a block away from this castle right now. This house has always fascinated me.

alisha said...

Do you know the address and/or contact information for the Georgetown castle? My friends, and I would love to see the Victorian beauty. Thanks!

Jodi said...

I do not have the address, but I did take a ghost tour and they drove by the house and talked about it: http://www.privateeyetours.com/haunted.htm

Also, it's right across from the Oxbow Park on 6400 Corson Ave S. block