Monday, May 19, 2008

Canoeing in Lake Washington

Yesterday Wes and I rented a canoe at the UW Waterfront Activities Center (WAC) right behind the husky stadium. Since the day was so nice (sooo rare in Seattle) there was about a 30-45 minute wait to rent the canoe. Once we got our canoe we started to paddle out into Union Bay in Lake WA. I was pretty nervous, since I had only been in a canoe once when I was a little kid. The only thing I could remember about canoes was they flip over easily and you can't get back into them.

First, we had to cross the Montlake cut, where all the big boats go through. It was pretty scary with all the big waves. We made it to the other side of the cut to go under the 520 bridge. I had to duck my head to go under the bridge, it was so low. There was a lot of wildlife, that I had no clue was there. We saw turtles, cranes, lots of ducks, geese, fish, and like 10 people jumping off the 520 bridge into the water.

The weather was perfect and it only cost $15.50 for a little over two hours. If we had a UW student pass or alumni pass it would have been cheaper. They are open from May 1 - June 30 Monday - Friday: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm and Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm.

Here are some pics from Wes:

No comments: